Taj 51 Buckingham Gate relaunches Alice’s Queen of Hearts Afternoon Tea
Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences has refreshed it Alice in Wonderland themed Afternoon Tea.
Taj 51 Buckingham Gate Suites and Residences has refreshed its Alice in Wonderland themed afternoon tea.
The Alice’s Queen of Hearts Afternoon Tea is served in the hotel’s Kona restaurant and features pastries and savouries inspired by the foul-tempered monarch from the children’s classic story.
The sweets include:
- Off With Their Heads: standing on the plate is the Queen of Hearts, recreated as a banana moelleux with a raspberry crémeux dress
- No White Roses: a Victorian red velvet cupcake topped with the iconic half painted roses and a chocolate ganache
- Running Late: a strawberry macaron pocket watch is elevated off the plate and decorated with milk chocolate piping
- Checkmate: replicating the style of the classic checker board, is the redcurrant and chocolate Battenburg
- Tea Party at 6: a dark chocolate mad-hatters hat
- Royal Flush: an orange semolina cake with fresh strawberries and blackberries in a chess-like formation
In addition to the sweets, there will be a selection of tea sandwiches designed to replicate playing cards and the Queen’s soldiers. Served alongside the raisin and classic scones, the menu features:
- On Duty: a Coronation chicken sandwich on carrot bread
- Pick a Card: a smoked salmon sandwich with horseradish crème fraîche on rye bread
- Double Time: egg mayonnaise on white bread
- In Line: a cucumber and soft cheese sandwich on beetroot bread
The service is presented on crockery that has illustrations from the Alice in Wonderland story, and the sweets sit on a glass checkerboard. The fine china plates are from the Victoria and Albert Museum collection celebrating the 150 years of Alice based on Sir John Tenniel’s original book illustrations. The Queen of Hearts playing card is on every table, alongside a bespoke-designed top hat elevated above the table - the centre piece is hand made for the hotel by a London based artist.
Digvijay Singh, area director UK and general manager said: “We have had an afternoon tea themed around Alice in Wonderland for a few years now and it has received so much positive feedback, so we wanted to deliver a refreshed version for our returning guests and visitors.”
Alice’s Queen of Hearts is available daily in Kona, with sittings at 12.30pm, 2.30pm and 4.30pm. It costs £45, and vegetarian and vegan versions of the tea will be available upon request 48 hours in advance.