Marriott International has announced today that it is removing all plastic straws from more than 60 hotels in the UK.
This initiative is an example of the global hospitality company’s commitment to reducing waste, energy use and CO2 at its properties around the world.
Hotel teams have been requested to begin removing plastic straws from circulation with immediate effect.
Michel Miserez, area vice president, United Kingdom and Ireland, Marriott International, said: “Our UK hotels used 300,000 straws last year. By removing plastic straws from our hotels in the UK we are making a small but significant step in playing our part in reducing the volume of plastic that damages our environment and wildlife.
“Marriott International has a global responsibility and unique opportunity to be a force for good in all aspects of our business. We recognise that how we do business is as important as the business that we do. Incorporating environmental and social initiatives like this one into our business is the right thing to do.”
Customers who request straws will be offered biodegradable or paper straws.
Marriott International hotels in the UK that are in the process of removing straws from use include:
1. Marriott County Hall London
2. Le Meridien Piccadilly, London
3. W London Leicester Square
4. Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, London
5. Sheraton Skyline Hotel, Heathrow
6. Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
7. Courtyard by Marriott Edinburgh
8. St Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club
9. Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
10. Renaissance Manchester City Centre Hotel
11. Liverpool Marriott Hotel City Centre
12. Newcastle Marriott Hotel Gosforth Park
13. AC Birmingham
14. Cardiff Marriott Hotel